BEST4Hy will validate four recovery processes currently at lab scale (TRL3), with the view to develop them up to TRL5. The technologies concerned allow recovery of critical raw and precious materials such as:
- Pt and ionomer from PEMFCs (HRD and CEA),
- Ni and YSZ from SOFCs (PoliTO).
All materials recovered will be fully characterized to maximize closed loop recycling.
Additionally, a process flow for obtaining recycled La- and Co- precursors for LSC manufacturing will be experimented at TRL 3 (PoliTO).
A first evaluation of the energy, resource use and emissions, amongst other, will inform the LCI/LCA under development by UL.
- Obtaining, as final process product, Platinum salt for reuse it in a closed-loop-recycling with a final efficiency of Pt recovered of » 80%.
- Demonstrating high recovery capacity (> 80%) of ionomer and Pt/C for reintroduction in closed-loop recycling (catalyst recycling yield »90%).
- Demonstrating more environmentally friendly treatment routes, which do not require the use of organic solvents or strong acids, and avoid the emission of toxic gases. The process will allow to recover Pt metal (>95% yield), spent membrane (100%) and GDL (100%) for open loop recycling scenarios.
- Scaling-up (TRL 5) a process that allows more than 80% recovery both from scrap and EoL SOFC cells of anode Ni-YSZ components according to the manufacturer’s requirements.
- The results generated by implementation and validation of existing technologies will also lay the ground to well consolidated recycling process for SOFC components.
- Development at TRL3 of an efficient and selective process flow for obtaining recycled LSC materials and/or La- and Co- precursors for LSC remanufacturing.